Look at the number of hair care products that are available in the market today and it will send you spiralling. There are serums, balms, creams, lotions, sprays, pills and not to ignore – even surgery. Which of these would you adopt to maintain the consistent health of your hair? Prudence would tell you to choose a remedy according to the texture of your hair and the condition of your scalp. But doing that would mean – your hair is already going downhill.
What are the secrets to a healthy hair without losing it?
We know that everyone’s hair is different. Here are some secrets to hair care that anyone can follow:
- Use a toothbrush: Yes, you read it right. A toothbrush! Unwanted flyaway hair can be tamed easily with a toothbrush. Flyaway hair can be irritating and gives you a very untidy look. Hairspray your hair and run toothbrush bristles over it to settle them down.
- Almond butter on your hair: Almond is a high protein food that naturally prevents hair loss. To soothe dry strands of hair, apply some organic almond butter. Rinse it off after a while.
- Air dry your hair: Do not use an electric high-heat blow dryer. Constant blow drying can actually damage the texture of your hair and dry out the natural oils, leaving it very brittle. Instead, air dry your hair and after a while blow dry, lightly to smoothen it.
- Brush your hair well: Brushing your hair helps in the distribution of the natural oil secreted in the scalp. It helps coat the entire strand of the hair. Besides, using a boar-bristle is a much healthier option than using synthetic brushes.
- Do not use a conditioner on your scalp: Conditioners are more for the hair and much less for the scalp. Apply it three or four inches away from the scalp and onto your hair. The scalp already contains some inherent oils to moisturise itself.
- Use cold water for maximum shine: The hair cuticle gets sealed when you use cold water leaving it smooth and shiny. When the cuticle is smooth, it reflects light.
- Use olive oil or coconut oil: Olive oil or coconut oil is a natural moisturising conditioner. Apply it to the hair and scalp and let it stay for a while before you wash it off.
- Do not use hot tools on your hair: Hot tools such as flat irons can dry your hair out and make it brittle. If you do want to still use heating tools, then use them at the lowest setting.