Long hair is an asset and to keep them looking luscious and lengthy you must maintain it properly. It’s always the usual – regular trims, balanced diet and tools and products that protect and benefit your hair. Avoid these and you have some really damaged and frizzy hair. You must also remember that the longer your hair is, the more prone it is to damage. Here are a few simple tips to keep your hair long and beautiful:
- Regular trims: Schedule regular trimming to remove split ends. Every 6 to 8 weeks take that trip to the parlour to trim away the damaged ends of your hair. This will definitely help maintain the length of your hair.
- Limit the usage of hair products: To retain hair shine do not use too many chemically-loaded hair products. Hair will look flat and lifeless since the chemicals will weigh down on you. You must especially watch out for products that contain silicone.
- Good hair brushes are important: Get a quality hair brush. Natural bristle brushes and bristles that are rounded are best suited for the hair. The bristles should be firm yet gentle so that they don’t pull at the hair too much.
- Air drying: Whenever possible, air-dry your hair rather than using a hair dryer. Too much heat from the hair dryer can lead to damage and when you have long hair, it is rather tempting to increase the heat for faster drying. Gently pat dry your hair when you can.
- Choose your hair products carefully: Check your hair type before you choose any hair product. Wherever it is possible it is best to select hair products that contain natural ingredients. With long hair there is a lot more hair in display and so any slight damage becomes apparent. Do not use any harsh ingredients such as sulphates.
- Use less of hair dyes: Hair dyes contain chemicals that are harsh and can damage your hair. The most recommended practice would be to stick to your natural colour. But if you do wish to colour your hair then don’t do it too often. Also, you may want to avoid colours that need to bleach.
- Do not over-shampoo your hair: Shampooing your hair too much can strip hair of its natural oils. These oils ensure the health of your long hair. If you choose to, apply the shampoo may be up to 2 to 3 times per week and after that don’t forget to condition your hair.